Step By Step Instructions for the Outdoor Hour Challenge
Starting September 1, 2013
- Receive the monthly newsletter on the 1st of the month (subscribers to the Handbook of Nature Study blog).
- In the newsletter, view the printable Challenge Grid for the four topics for the up-coming month. If the topic is from the archives, I provide the link to the challenge on my blog and the link to the ebook it is from if applicable.This way you can prepare for the challenges ahead of time if you wish.
- If you own the applicable ebooks, you can open those and print the coordinating notebook pages to use during the month. This is not required but would supplement the current month's work.
- Print and cut out the newsletter Study Grid or other printable for use during the month.
- Complete the challenges at your own pace and create your blog entries as you have time.
- Submit your blog entries to the Outdoor Hour Challenge blog carnival. Become part of the global community of nature study families that participates in the monthly carnival of entries sharing how you spent time outdoors with your family.
Big Picture for the Outdoor Hour ChallengeSeasonal Studies: Each month from September 2013 to August 2014 - I am going to be recycling challenges from the archives, pulling them from older nature study series and ebooks. Each month will not be topical but have a variety of nature study ideas that fit the season (Northern Hemisphere). I will also give you ideas from the Getting Started Ebook if you already own that and would like to use it instead or in addition to the seasonal ebooks.
Resources Needed for 2013 - 2014:
- Monthly Newsletter so you have the topic, the challenge ideas ahead of time, and the newsletter printables. The newsletter is free to all who subscribe to my Handbook of Nature Study blog.
- Handbook of Nature Study book by Anna Botsford Comstock – I recommend the edition linked on the sidebar of my blog.
- Optional but recommended: The seasonal series or ebook that coordinates with the season we are currently experiencing (see schedule below). All of the challenges are available for free here on the blog (see the seasonal tabs at the top of the blog) but each ebook gathers the challenges and includes coordinating printable notebook pages.
- Optional: A copy of the Outdoor Hour Challenge Getting Started ebook. Of course, the challenges in the ebook are available on the Handbook of Nature Study blog for free but if you want the notebook pages you will need to purchase the ebook.
- Highly recommend: Nature journal or nature notebook.
Schedule of Ebooks to Be Used Sept. 2013 - Aug. 2014
- Fall 2013 - Autumn Series from 2009 (no ebook, free notebooking pages)
- Winter 2014 - Winter Wednesday Series
- Spring 2014 - Spring Series 2010
- Summer 2014 - Summer Series 2010
Purchase all three ebooks for this year's nature study for $16.95 (regular price $24.85)
2013-2014 Ebook Bundle
Please note that I send the ebook download links personally and I always deliver within 24 hours.
This bundle will be offered at this price all year long.
Postponing the new Mega Nature Study Ebook:The plan was to release a new Outdoor Hour Challenge ebook gathering each of the 12 topical studies (Sept 2012 to Aug 2013) from the newsletters, the Friday post's printables, and many additional activities and notebook pages that will only appear in the new ebook. This Mega Nature Study ebook will allow you to work by nature study topic using the Handbook of Nature Study and the Outdoor Hour Challenges. This ebook has become a huge project and I will not be able to release it as planned because I have not come close to finishing it with all the changes going on around my house. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused in your nature study planning. I assure you it will be worth the wait!
New Release Date: June 1, 2014